Sunday 10 March 2013

Bootlegs at the Barbican Fri 8th March.

 
Well what can I say? Absolutely superb! A three hour show for the paultry fee of £26.00, and the musical and acoustic reditions of the songs and in-jokes were just spot on. I must admit I was rather nervous of seeing them again, but within the first song I actually began to relax and even stood and clapped with the audience on occasion. I think my nervousness was due to my being somewhat more mature than the lastime, and I think I expected them to let me down with the quality of the mimicry and the look of the show, but I was proved wrong and I urge anyone who enjoys the Beatles music to go and see them, it is the closest you are going to get to experience a 'Beatles' live music concert.


They employed very clever backgound visual graphics and movies to help with the bedding of the different fashions and styles which were everchanging throughout the bands lifespan...it wasn't a cheap and tacky way of making money from nostalgia, but a real and sometimes quite emotional tribute to the Beatles and their incredible musical journey; they even had McCartney left handed now which was an original criticism of mine on an earlier post. The addition of the string and brass quintet did not distract from the songs and very much showed that had the Beatles really wanted to, they still could have performed their 'recorded studio' songs to a live audience.

Hearing the 'live' versions of the songs i know so well you really begin to appreciate the craftsmanship and power of the tunes and the instruments too. I can see as a stage band how they managed to capture the excitement of the times, and also emphasise the important roles of both George as lead guitarist and Ringo as the drummer/beat keeper. 

I have to thank the Bootlegs for giving me and the Society a shout out, the email did get to them after all.... thank you Adam, Steve, Andre and Hugo for great night!

Heres a link to some pictures and some live footage i took on my phone camera, some are a bit dodgy in quality but it will give you some idea of what to expect when you go and see them live... and you must!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcA4tHHBbsY

No comments:

Post a Comment